返回列表 发帖

CANTON Mixed font number date on Reaper

Not an error, but an oddity.
I believe that in 1925, it was normal that most of the time nobody at the Post Office cared very much about cosmetic looks over practical function.

A postal clerk used what was available.

1. Could this be 1936 instead of 1925?

2. When (and where) did rotating numbers come into use?

CANTON MIXED FONT DATE.jpg (106.18 KB)

CANTON MIXED FONT DATE.jpg

CANTON MIXED FONT 2.jpg (75.34 KB)

CANTON MIXED FONT 2.jpg

William Taylor
5718 E. 34th St.
Tucson AZ 85711
U.S.A
520 401-9670
Republican Cancels: Stamps and on piece

maybe 1925
510620广州黄埔大道西78号张/益/茂电话1八六0七五六90五〇
求购广东前山、斗门、翠微、南屏、下栅、界涌、唐家等,另求购中山大学封

Not an error, but an oddity.
I believe that in 1925, it was normal that most of the time nobody at  ...
Vilyehn 发表于 2015-1-22 08:45

Welcome to the English forum.The "25' in the year slug is Min kuo  calender which is 11 years behind our calender. Therefore, 1925 +11 =1936.
關道華
地址 ;香港寳珊道1號第三座6樓A室
電郵 : ttwkwan@netvigator.com

I would think it is 1936 mainly because the English on the bottom cancel, with dotted bars separating the center date, was more in use in the 1930s. The number being the Min kuo calender is not automatic. That is the fun part of collecting China Republican cancels. There are very few hard rules where you can not find exceptions.

I assume there is no importance to the different spacing and dot patterns of the numbers.

27. 5.25         27. 5. 25.             27.5.25.        etc.      

The space in front of the 5th month being there for use with Oct Nov Dec, or 10 11 12

------------------
I would love to see a I for 1 in a date.
William Taylor
5718 E. 34th St.
Tucson AZ 85711
U.S.A
520 401-9670

回复 4# Vilyehn

Yes, William. You are right that there is no importance to the different spacing and dot patterns of the numbers. As the date slugs were inserted daily to the chop. sibnce the date slugs were not identical in width, the postal clerk needed to shim up the spacing between slugs to avoid falling off.

One side question, how do you find to log on this web site ; easy, difficult? The site is user friendly, un-user friendly?
關道華
地址 ;香港寳珊道1號第三座6樓A室
電郵 : ttwkwan@netvigator.com

The site became easy to use once I got an English run through of how to register.

My name was supposed to be Vilyehm, an old traditional use in fantasy war-gaming, being the worst possible way to misspell William. I made a typo the one time registration worked. I'll leave it as is.

I'm getting used to reducing my pictures down to 110K. This is smaller than what the China Stamp Society website allows.

If I get the question that needs Chinese characters to answer, I refresh the page and get the number question. The need for this goes away after a number of posts.

I fell in love with the girl with short hair and round eyes until I found out it was the unisex default picture.

My email has already gotten one message in Chinese that I think was an offer to sell something. As you can see from the picture, I use a lot of #2 glassines.

I think I am off to a good start.
To misquote an old Chinese proverb:

The journey of a thousand Li can begin with a first step into dog doo-doo.
William Taylor
5718 E. 34th St.
Tucson AZ 85711
U.S.A
520 401-9670

返回列表