返回列表 发帖

一封传教士写的信

原件为纸的,现在打出,分享给大家,season‘s greeting
Dear Friends,
         As I here tonight thinking of you,you seem very near. You have stood by loyally through our long silences,giving continued
assurance you are with us,praying for us.how can I thank God enough for you,our friends? I have failed so in writing you. Even this
letter will not reach you on Christmas,I crave your forgiveness. If only you could know how much you have lived with me through these silent months !Could it help bridge the gulf of distance and time?
some of you may not know that we did not carry out last June's plans to spend the summer on the plain. Heat,wilted bodies and spirits drove us to the "hills from whence cometh my help".And help did come.Refreshment in body and soul. In a little time we felt like
different persons.our children revelled once more in the joy of speaking in English to friends of their age.They were fairly intoxicated
with the fun of hikes,swims,tennis and evening get-togethers of the group of fifteen young folks.Many of the mountain cottages were
destroyed or unfit for use.The glass was out of the windows of practically every house on the hill,furniture mostly gone.Families
packed in together and folks took turns occupying the few rooms there were.But it was good to be there to enjoy the Christian fellowship of friends,to drink in the inspiration of those beautiful hills.
September sixth found me down in Foochow , seeing Edward off to Shanghai American school.That was a day I will live over
many times.At nine-thirty that morning it was one hundred years since Judson Collins with Mr. and Mrs.moses white. our first methodist
missionaries to East Asis. arrived in Foochow,our Chinese leaders commemorated the hour by giving a tea to all the missionaries who
could attend. There were speeches telling of the dauntless,consecrated spirit of those early leaders and of what has happened in
China because of that beginning.As we stood by the grave of Mrs.White who laid down her life after only eight months of work there,as
we saw the graves of early missionaries,especially of women and small children,we felt that truly a great price had been paid and that
we today know nothing of hardship or sacrifice.Through them what riches have come to these people!How blessed are we who have
been permitted to follow in their train !There is only one answer to the call to follow and that is to do so with renewed comsecration,
praying that we may keep the light held high.
The pageant,written by Mary Brewster Hollister of Hinghwa,given at the Centennial celebration in Foochow last month,helped
us to see more of the "Planting"more of the roots and fruits of work done here.Beside me sat three Chinese sisiters,breathlessly intent
as they watched the one portraying the part of a military man,thinking,almost yielding,balting,finally accepting Christ's challenge to
follow Him,later becoming the first pastor of the little church still standing in Foochow,the oldest in East Asia.the man portrayed was
their great,great grandfather. After a scene in which he and his family decided to burn their idols and establish Christian prayers
at the family altar,these three sisters burst forth in sincerest applause.How proud,proud they were of this ancestor and family!On
the following Sunday a small baby,the sixth generation in this family,was baptized and the grandfather of these girls,still an enthusiastic
pastor,did an excellent job of translating the sermon of Bishop Kuang of North China.After that afternoon meeting in that "Oldest
Church"the outside steps were completely filled with members of this family getting their picture taken.One of these sisters has been
acting president of H wa Nan College while Dr.Lucy,Wang,president,was on duty for the church in South America.Others of the family,
are also in active church work, Quite a few photographs have been collected of fifth and sixth generation Christians.
November was completely filled with conferences. We were happy to be entertaining many lovely guests both here and in Foochow,
where more than a hundred Americans and several hundred Chinese delegates were gathered.  How interesting to meet folks from
most anywhere,knowing friends or relatives of ours.   For example,Rev.John Wilkins,pastor of the church where Charles'brother
attends in Burlingame,California,visited our Edward in Shanghai,then after the Foochow meeting,came down to be our house guest
and speaker at a student conference.   He and twenty others,Americans and Chinese,had Thanksgiving dinner at our house,with
canned U.S.army turkey and other army foods prominant on the table.
and now the air is full of preparations for Christmas-several weeks of celebrations in country and city groups.It is very difficult to know
where to begin,where to stop,and what to count on in our attempt to spread Christmas cheer. Our August gift list has just come today,
showing two gifts for the Christmas fund.  Others will be coming later,we hope.  We will have to begin earlier to reckon with these slow-
moving mails.It would be grand to drop a Christmas dinner into some homes for a dollar or two a family.It would be nice to sprinkle
some oranges around among the children.  Today they cost too much for them to buy.Envelopes are being distributed for the White
Christmas Offering for the especially needy ones in our midst.It has been generous in past years.At any rate,weare looking forward to
a happy Christmas.
And now in about two weeks Edward will be coming home for vacation,This is our very biggest gift of all,just recently planned and we
are delirously happy about it. In another year and a half he will be in America for study, Charles plans to meet him to take the last thirty
miles by bicycle.Weather,travel and communication diffculties make it almost impossible to plan a scheduled trip.  We will leave the
whole tangle to our Father Who cares for us.
I will leave space for Charles to add a few words.My very sincerest greetings to all of you.

Just a line to add Virginia's greetings.  The church choir has just met at our house for a rehearsal of a Christmas piece.    It sounded  quite good to me.also it seemed so to our dog,"Ebony",who helped out the tenors and basses at appropriate times.  Ebony does not
expect to appear at the final performance.
    This is examination week in the various high schools in the city.  I have 49 papers of my English class which have been crying for
two days to be graded.I am teaching only seven hours a week but it takes about twice that time to prepare and correct papers.as some
of you who are teachers know.I am also still the mission bookkeeper but will be relieved-and I mean relieved-of that job on January first
when Mr.Cole takes over that work.  The Coles are here,but are not settled in their own home yet.  Meanwhile they are living with us.
      The cold north winds are blowing now.  The winter is closing in on us.I am wearing my heavy clothes.   Yet I still see boys and girls
in our schools going barefoot.  We received two big casses(about 400 pairs) of relief shoes.but they are all small sizes.for children
under eight or nine years of age.  They will go to the children of our church workers. The relief clothing has long been distributed.All
the teachers and preachers and most members of their families are wearing some article of this American relief clothing.  With prices
of cloth so high I don't see how they could have got along without this big lift.
      The last rice crop was only about sixty or seventy per cent of the expectation and with money depreciating in value each hour rice
is now over $6,000 Chinese money a pound.Although this is only ten cents U.S. money,before the war rice was only two or three cents
a pound in U.S. currency.
      You will get my general letter written a few days ago and sent to New York for copying.So I'll sign off with blessings upon you all
and best wishes and prayers for happiness in the year ahead.

陈俊(Chan Chun)  手机:13850259305
支付宝 1092078074@qq.com

不懂
喜欢蟠龙及加盖以及相关明信片实寄封。
河南省信阳市潢川县滨河大厦801房 邮编465150  手机(支付宝)13937660280   
淘宝:http://shop59974548.taobao.com/
新浪:http://blog.sina.com.cn/xiaofeng0280

兄弟的打字功夫不错, 错别字很少,赞一个。
肇.盛.轩 中国邮史研究会1325号会员  支付宝: zhao.sean@gmail.com
国内地址: 杭州市江干区景苑公寓2-602 赵.月.保 转收  邮编: 310006

亲爱的朋友们,

As I here tonight thinking of you,you seem very near. You have stood by loyally through our long silences,giving continued
我今晚在这里想着你,你似乎很近。你站在忠实地通过长时间的沉默,继续

assurance you are with us,praying for us.how can I thank God enough for you,our friends? I have failed so in writing you. Even this
保证你和我们一起祈祷,我可以给你足够的us.how,感谢上帝,我们的朋友?我在写你的失败。即使这

letter will not reach you on Christmas,I crave your forgiveness. If only you could know how much you have lived with me through these silent months !Could it help bridge the gulf of distance and time?
不信,在圣诞节到你,我恳求你的宽恕。如果你可以知道你有多少我住在一起通过这些沉默的月!它能帮助桥距离和时间湾?

some of you may not know that we did not carry out last June's plans to spend the summer on the plain. Heat,wilted bodies and spirits drove us to the "hills from whence cometh my help".And help did come.Refreshment in body and soul. In a little time we felt like
一些你可能不知道,我们没有进行去年六月的计划在夏天的平原。热,枯萎的身体和精神激励我们“山我的帮助从”从何而来。和帮助来了。在身体和灵魂的点心。在一个小的时候我们觉得

different persons.our children revelled once more in the joy of speaking in English to friends of their age.They were fairly intoxicated
孩子们喜欢不同的persons.our再一次在他们的年龄的朋友讲英语的快乐。他们是相当令人陶醉

with the fun of hikes,swims,tennis and evening get-togethers of the group of fifteen young folks.Many of the mountain cottages were
随着上涨,乐趣,游泳,网球和晚上的十五年轻人小组聚会。许多山区的小屋

destroyed or unfit for use.The glass was out of the windows of practically every house on the hill,furniture mostly gone.Families
破坏或不适合使用。玻璃外的几乎每一个房子的窗户上,家庭的家具大多了。

packed in together and folks took turns occupying the few rooms there were.But it was good to be there to enjoy the Christian fellowship of friends,to drink in the inspiration of those beautiful hills.
包装在一起的人轮流占据的几个房间里有。但它是个好地方享受朋友的基督徒团契,喝的那些美丽的山丘的启示。

September sixth found me down in Foochow , seeing Edward off to Shanghai American school.That was a day I will live over
九月六日发现我在福州,看到爱德华去上海美国学校。那天我会过

many times.At nine-thirty that morning it was one hundred years since Judson Collins with Mr. and Mrs.moses white. our first methodist
很多次了。那天早上九三零,这是一百年以来,贾德森柯林斯先生和mrs.moses白。我们的第一卫理公会

missionaries to East Asis. arrived in Foochow,our Chinese leaders commemorated the hour by giving a tea to all the missionaries who
传教士对东亚。抵达福州,中国领导人纪念小时给茶所有的传教士

could attend. There were speeches telling of the dauntless,consecrated spirit of those early leaders and of what has happened in
能参加。有人发表演说,告诉大无畏的,神圣的精神领袖和那些早期发生了什么

China because of that beginning.As we stood by the grave of Mrs.White who laid down her life after only eight months of work there,as
因为中国的开始。当我们站在白太太放下她的生活后只有八个月的工作,那里的坟墓,为

we saw the graves of early missionaries,especially of women and small children,we felt that truly a great price had been paid and that
我们看见了坟墓的早期的传教士,特别是妇女和儿童,我们认为,一个真正伟大的价格已经支付,

we today know nothing of hardship or sacrifice.Through them what riches have come to these people!How blessed are we who have
我们今天知道的困难和牺牲无关。通过他们的财富来这些人!我们有多么幸运

been permitted to follow in their train !There is only one answer to the call to follow and that is to do so with renewed comsecration,
被允许跟随他们的火车!答案只有一个电话跟进,这样做是以新的comsecration,

praying that we may keep the light held high.
祈祷我们可以保持高高举起的光。

The pageant,written by Mary Brewster Hollister of Hinghwa,given at the Centennial celebration in Foochow last month,helped
选美比赛,玛丽的布鲁斯特霍利斯特兴化写,在福州百年庆典上个月给予帮助,

us to see more of the "Planting"more of the roots and fruits of work done here.Beside me sat three Chinese sisiters,breathlessly intent
我们看到更多的“种植”更多的根和果实的工作。在我旁边坐着三个中国姐妹,上气不接下气地意图

as they watched the one portraying the part of a military man,thinking,almost yielding,balting,finally accepting Christ's challenge to
当他们看到一个塑造一个军人,思维,部分几乎屈服,balting,终于接受了基督的挑战

follow Him,later becoming the first pastor of the little church still standing in Foochow,the oldest in East Asia.the man portrayed was
跟着他,后来成为小教堂的牧师仍站在福州第一,在东亚洲的人描绘的最大

their great,great grandfather. After a scene in which he and his family decided to burn their idols and establish Christian prayers
他们的伟大,伟大的祖父。在一个场景中,他和他的家人决定焚烧他们雕刻的偶像、建立基督教的祈祷

at the family altar,these three sisters burst forth in sincerest applause.How proud,proud they were of this ancestor and family!On
在家庭祭坛,这三姐妹突然爆发了热烈的掌声。多么骄傲,自豪,他们的祖先和家庭!在

the following Sunday a small baby,the sixth generation in this family,was baptized and the grandfather of these girls,still an enthusiastic
接下来的星期日,一个小婴儿,在这个家族的第六代传人,受洗和这些女孩的祖父,还有热情的
牧师,做了一个翻译的主教邝中国北方的布道工作出色。在下午的会议上,“古老的

Church"the outside steps were completely filled with members of this family getting their picture taken.One of these sisters has been
教堂外面的台阶上充满了这个家族的成员得到他们的照片。其中的一个姐妹了

acting president of H wa Nan College while Dr.Lucy,Wang,president,was on duty for the church in South America.Others of the family,
代理总统H洼南大学露西博士,王,总统,职责是在南美国教会家庭的人,

are also in active church work, Quite a few photographs have been collected of fifth and sixth generation Christians.
也在积极的教堂工作,相当多的照片已经收集了第五代和第六代的基督徒。

November was completely filled with conferences. We were happy to be entertaining many lovely guests both here and in Foochow,
十一月是完全充满了会议。我们很高兴招待许多可爱的客人都在这里和福州,

where more than a hundred Americans and several hundred Chinese delegates were gathered. How interesting to meet folks from
超过一百的美国人和几百位中国代表聚集。有趣的是如何满足的人

most anywhere,knowing friends or relatives of ours. For example,Rev.John Wilkins,pastor of the church where Charles'brother
大多数的地方,了解我们的朋友或亲戚。例如,rev.john威尔金斯,教会的牧师,charles'brother

attends in Burlingame,California,visited our Edward in Shanghai,then after the Foochow meeting,came down to be our house guest
在旧金山,加利福尼亚,参观了我们在上海的爱德华,然后福州会议后,来到了我们的客人

and speaker at a student conference. He and twenty others,Americans and Chinese,had Thanksgiving dinner at our house,with
扬声器在学生会议。他和其他二十人,美国人和中国人,在我们家过感恩节晚餐,与

canned U.S.army turkey and other army foods prominant on the table.
美军陆军食品罐头土耳其和其他明显的桌子上。

and now the air is full of preparations for Christmas-several weeks of celebrations in country and city groups.It is very difficult to know
现在,空气中充满了圣诞节的准备了数周的庆祝活动在国家和城市群是非常困难的。

where to begin,where to stop,and what to count on in our attempt to spread Christmas cheer. Our August gift list has just come today,
从哪里开始,在哪里停止,什么指望我们试图传播圣诞节欢呼。我们刚刚今天八月的礼物清单,

showing two gifts for the Christmas fund. Others will be coming later,we hope. We will have to begin earlier to reckon with these slow-
表现为圣诞基金两个礼物。别人会到来之后,我们的希望。我们将不得不提早开始考虑这些慢—

moving mails.It would be grand to drop a Christmas dinner into some homes for a dollar or two a family.It would be nice to sprinkle
移动邮件。这将是大下降一个圣诞晚餐在家一美元或二一个家庭。它会洒是好的

some oranges around among the children. Today they cost too much for them to buy.Envelopes are being distributed for the White
一些橘子在孩子。今天他们的成本太高,他们购买。信封分发的白色

Christmas Offering for the especially needy ones in our midst.It has been generous in past years.At any rate,weare looking forward to
在我们中间,特别是贫困的圣诞祭。它已经在过去的几年里一直是慷慨的。无论如何,我们期待

a happy Christmas.
一个快乐的圣诞节。

And now in about two weeks Edward will be coming home for vacation,This is our very biggest gift of all,just recently planned and we
现在,在大约两个星期,爱德华就要回家度假,这是我们最大的礼物,就在最近,我们的计划

are delirously happy about it. In another year and a half he will be in America for study, Charles plans to meet him to take the last thirty
这是关于快乐的以至忘记自我。在一年半的他将在美国学习,查尔斯计划来满足他参加最后三十

miles by bicycle.Weather,travel and communication diffculties make it almost impossible to plan a scheduled trip. We will leave the
英里的自行车。天气,旅行和沟通的困难使它几乎不可能计划安排的旅行。我们会离开

whole tangle to our Father Who cares for us.
整个缠绕我们关心我们的父亲。

I will leave space for Charles to add a few words.My very sincerest greetings to all of you.
我将离开查尔斯的空间增添了几句话。我非常诚挚的问候你们所有人。

Just a line to add Virginia's greetings. The church choir has just met at our house for a rehearsal of a Christmas piece. It sounded quite good to me.also it seemed so to our dog,"Ebony",who helped out the tenors and basses at appropriate times. Ebony does not
只是一条线增加弗吉尼亚的问候。教堂唱诗班刚刚相遇在我家排练圣诞片。听起来很好me.also似乎是我们的狗,“黑”,谁帮助了男高音和男低音在适当的时候。乌木不

expect to appear at the final performance.
会出现在最终的性能。

This is examination week in the various high schools in the city. I have 49 papers of my English class which have been crying for
这是考试周在本市各高中。我有49篇英语课已经哭了

two days to be graded.I am teaching only seven hours a week but it takes about twice that time to prepare and correct papers.as some
两天要分级教学。我一周只有七小时,大约要花两倍的时间来准备和正确的papers.as一些

of you who are teachers know.I am also still the mission bookkeeper but will be relieved-and I mean relieved-of that job on January first
你知道谁是老师。我还任务簿记员但得到缓解和我的意思是,在一月一日解除工作

when Mr.Cole takes over that work. The Coles are here,but are not settled in their own home yet. Meanwhile they are living with us.
当科尔先生接管这项工作。科尔在这里,而不是在自己家里了结。同时,他们与我们生活。

The cold north winds are blowing now. The winter is closing in on us.I am wearing my heavy clothes. Yet I still see boys and girls
寒冷的北风吹了。冬天逼近我们。我穿着厚重的衣服。我还看见了男孩和女孩

in our schools going barefoot. We received two big casses(about 400 pairs) of relief shoes.but they are all small sizes.for children
在我们的学校里,赤脚。我们收到了两大例(400对)的救济shoes.but他们都是小sizes.for孩子

under eight or nine years of age. They will go to the children of our church workers. The relief clothing has long been distributed.All
八或九岁以下。他们会去教会工人的孩子。救济的服装一直是所有分布式。

the teachers and preachers and most members of their families are wearing some article of this American relief clothing. With prices
教师、传教士和他们的家庭成员穿的都是一些最第这个美国救济衣物。价格

of cloth so high I don't see how they could have got along without this big lift.
布那么高,我不知道他们是如何相处没有这么大的升力。

The last rice crop was only about sixty or seventy per cent of the expectation and with money depreciating in value each hour rice
最后的水稻作物是只有约六十或每分七十和期望货币贬值每小时米

is now over $6,000 Chinese money a pound.Although this is only ten cents U.S. money,before the war rice was only two or three cents
现在在中国6000美元的钱一磅。虽然这只是十美分美元货币,战争之前,大米是只有两个或三美分

a pound in U.S. currency.
以美元一磅。

You will get my general letter written a few days ago and sent to New York for copying.So I'll sign off with blessings upon you all
你会得到我写的信前几天去纽约复制。所以我要签上你的祝福所有

and best wishes and prayers for happiness in the year ahead.
和最好的祝愿和祈祷来年幸福快乐。
中国邮史研究会1185号会员
刘岸  哈尔滨医科大学遗传教研室  150081
bankliu@188.com
支付宝:liuxiqing1941@126.com

回复 4# bankliu

谢谢刘先生的精彩翻译
支付宝 1092078074@qq.com

As I here tonight thinking of you,you seem very near. You have stood by loyally through our long silences,giving continued assurance you are with us,praying for us.
我今晚在这里想着你,感觉你就像在身边。在我们长期的静默中,你忠实地支持着我们,始终保证你和我们站在一起,为我们祈祷。

how can I thank God enough for you,our friends? I have failed so in writing you. Even this letter will not reach you on Christmas,I crave your forgiveness
朋友们,我对你无尽的谢意,向主感谢也还是不够。我没能写出你的故事。即使这封信,它也无法在今年圣诞前到达你那里。我渴望能得到你的宽恕。

我利用百度翻译进行的,比较搞笑。
中国邮史研究会1185号会员
刘岸  哈尔滨医科大学遗传教研室  150081
bankliu@188.com
支付宝:liuxiqing1941@126.com

回复 6# llicolt
支付宝 1092078074@qq.com

返回列表